Settled in 1866, Roebourne is WA’s oldest surviving town north of Geraldton. It served as the administrative centre for the Shire of Roebourne (previously the Roebourne Roads Board) until 1975, when operations were transferred to Karratha. Roebourne has an estimated population of 1,150 people and is located 39 kilometres east of Karratha on the banks of the Harding River. Roebourne has retained its special character with its historic buildings and pioneering history.
Roebourne has continued to develop and is a thriving hub for Aboriginal enterprise and culture. Roebourne has excellent sporting facilities for a town of 800 people including recently constructed covered basketball courts and a public swimming pool. In 2009 the Clontarf Foundation Roebourne Academy was established.
Roebourne will be further enhanced by the recently proposed Ngarluma Aboriginal Sustainable Housing (NASH) project that will create approximately 400 new residential lots in partnership with the state government and resource companies, and the Ngarluma and Yindibarndi Cultural Complex that is envisaged to include a museum, library, art gallery, amphitheatre, meeting spaces, a café and offices.